Friday, May 29, 2009

Yummy Tummy!

I got to try out a new recipe today, and it was good enough to share! It is from Real Simple magazine, and I only made a few modifications.

Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce
12 ounces spaghetti (I use whole wheat)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 lb. ground beef
Kosher salt and pepper
1-28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (we didn't have fresh, so I used some dried)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic, and cook stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high. Add the beef, 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper, and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.

Serve the pasta with the sauce and sprinkle with the Parmesan.

It was easy to make, and I like that it had the carrots, onion and garlic in it! It was well-received by two toddlers and two hungry mommies!

Need quick and easy bread sticks to go with? Take out the leftover hot dog buns from last weekend (you know you never use them all!) and slice them length-wise. Spray with spray butter or drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic salt or Salad Supreme. Brown under the broiler!

Sorry, I don't have any photographic evidence of the meal, but I promise it was DELICIOUS!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been waiting for you to post this recipe so I can share it with my little family! It was more than delicious for lunch yesterday! Thank you for having us over for playtime and food. CDP fell asleep in the car on the way home at 1:00 and slept until 4:35! Playing with C must have worn him out! Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete