Friday, June 26, 2009

Shock & Awe

Good morning, friends. I thought I'd write and process through a little more of the events that transpired yesterday!

I presented yesterday morning and finished before noon. I met my mom in Temple for lunch at Olive Garden. After we ate, we came back to my house and napped. I left the house at around 2:50 for my 3:30 appointment since I knew I'd have a stack of paperwork to fill out. Mom left the house the same time I did to go and pick up C at Nana's.

I got to Dr. Moore's office and filled out all of my paperwork. They made copies of my insurance card and then much to my surprise called me back before my appointment time of 3:30. I was worried because R wasn't there, but I knew he was on his way. I did weight and BP check and the customary tinkle in a cup thing. Dr. Moore came by to say hello. He looked at my chart and said, "Well, look what we have here! You guys know how this is happening, right?" We laughed and he told me he'd be back.

His nurse came in next and reviewed my chart, pertinent dates, family medical history, etc. R had arrived by this time. When the nurse asked if we had twins in our family, I said, "Yes, my maternal grandfather is a twin and my paternal grandfather had twin siblings." I said that only because it is the truth. I really and truly had not considered that we might be having twins. She wrote it down and left the room so I could get ready for my pap and U/S.

I walked into the undressing area, and Ryan followed. I laughed SO hard when he started un-buckling his belt. I thought he was just trying to be funny and undress because I was having to. Actually, he was just re-tucking in his shirt. [May not be funny to anyone else, but it was to me!]

I got up on the bed and we waited for Dr. Moore to come in.

He came in and reviewed everything with us that the nurse had taken down. When he asked us if we had any questions, we both confidently said, "No. It is so much easier this time because we know what to expect. The second time around is so much easier." He agreed and then got down to business.

He did my pap while the nurse prepped the U/S machine. Ryan was standing right next to my head and we were just chatting about this and that.

When the U/S started, the screen was facing Dr. Moore and his nurse. I was a little distracted because I was feeling like I had to tinkle again, and every time he moved the "wand" around the "need" became worse. Dr. Moore was silent and very intent on the screen. I heard him print a picture. The nurse said, "Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get a good picture..." I still had no idea.

I heard Dr. Moore click and print another picture. That's when the nurse said, "Yep, you were right on the money--8 weeks and 5 days--for the first baby."

Ha ha ha! So funny! R and I sheepishly laughed at our jokester nurse.

I said, "Yeah, right! It isn't funny to kid about stuff like that!"

"I'm actually not kidding!"

And then Dr. Moore, "No, she's not kidding. There are two babies in there!"

I got really hot then. All R and I could do was laugh. I felt like the room was spinning. I still half-way believed that they were in cahoots with one another to freak us out because we had acted so confident about being ready for pregnancy #2. Ha ha ha.

"Really? Are you being serious?"

"Yes, we're both very serious. Congratulations, you are having twins!"

Print another picture.

That's when he turned the screen around to face us. He showed us the two separate sacks and the two flickering heartbeats. We both had goofy grins on our faces because we were still processing.

You can only imagine the thoughts that started whirling around in my head immediately. I vaguely remember Dr. Moore turning off the machine and BRIEFLY telling me that he would see me more often and that I would be at greater risk for high blood pressure and bed rest...And then he and the nurse were gone. R and I were left sitting in the room together.

I think we both kept saying "Oh my gosh!" R was very focused on making sure I was okay before I got up off the table. I don't remember getting dressed, but I know I did.

After a quick call to my mom, I walked down the hall for my blood work. My head was still spinning. R was holding the two print-out pictures of our babies.

They had told me when I made this appointment that we'd have to pay $300 at our first appointment. I was prepared to do that. As we began to walk to the check-out desk, I asked Ryan if two babies meant we'd have to pay $600 instead. We really had no idea.

We ended up only having to pay $300. The check-out lady asked me what I was going to do to celebrate, and I told her I didn't know. She said she'd celebrate for me, so I asked her to have a margarita for me!

When R and I got out in to the lobby we hugged and double-checked to be sure the other was okay. When we both had our assurances, he got in his truck to go share the news at his work, and I got in my car to start making phone calls as I headed home.

Whirlwind day. SO many thoughts, emotions, feelings. So much joy! We both believe this to be a great blessing. God decided this...we had no hand in it. We are humbled, scared, excited, nervous, and every emotion in between.

The due date is January 30th, but it is doubtful that I will go full term. The goal will be to carry them as long as possible, so if you need something to pray that would be a good place to start. We're also praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy and happy, healthy babies.

We sincerely appreciate all the love and support of our friends and family. This is going to be a new adventure for us as our family grows larger than we ever thought it would.

Stay tuned for more...

13 comments:

  1. Corrie, I just can't get over this amazing news! What an incredible blessing. When I saw that ultrasound pic on Facebook, I screamed and said, "Hannah! C's going to have TWO babies at her house!" Her jaw dropped, and her eyebrows raised which cracked me up! I am so excited for you guys and will definitely be praying for those precious babes. I hope this will be an uncomplicated, smooth pregnancy for you guys. Yay!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats. This is such great news! I wish you and Ryan the best of luck with this pregnancy. We will be thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO amazing. so excited for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH Corrie! I so wish I had your number I'd call you right now and scream CONGRATULATIONS over the phone! Seriously, I am sitting here smiling ear to ear, with tears welled up in my eyes right now!

    What a blessing!

    Congratulations, again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camp Grandma is gonna be a hoot next summer! Maybe we can do a babies, mommies and grannies weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Corrie, Ryan, and Clara! We are so happy for you. Aren't God's plans amazing?! We'll be praying for health and peace in the initial stage of this new journey. -The Lechler's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still in shock for you! I keep replaying our phone conversation in my head, thinking how exciting (and overwhelming and anxious and all those wonderful & scary feelings you must have) to know God handpicked you for this new journey. We'll be here to help in any way we can!

    Here's to a happy, healthy pregnancy!

    Oh, and I love the picture of your two little beans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, Corrie! It's certainly a crazy ride, but full of double fun & double blessings! -Jennifer (Camp) Meier

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. My. Goodness. Shock and Awe is right! I would have fallen right off the table! HOW EXCITING! Congratulations! C is going to be a great big sis!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i so enjoyed reading about your day. put a smile on my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I have not stopped by your blog in a while and I am just now catching up on all the great news...TWINS!!! That is amazing. I love that you guys thought the nurse and doctor were both joking. I love the names that you have chosen. I can't wait to hear who you will be adding to your family. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just now playing blog catch up (yes i'm the worst blogger these days) and am just now learning of your new additions!!!!
    WOW Congratulations! I'm not sure who is luckier...you guys or the twins!
    You look great and can't believe how big C is getting! So beautiful and smart!!!
    Will def. be doing my best to check in more often now!! You guys will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete