Tuesday, July 28, 2009

12 weeks + 5 days check-up!

Last Thursday, I went for my 12 weeks + 5 days OB appointment. It was thankfully a very low-key appointment.

Blood pressure: Excellent

Weight: Gained 3 pounds in 4 weeks

Blood work: Good (no anemia!)

Baby count: STILL TWO!

The darn internet had made me fearful of the possibility of "vanishing twin syndrome" where two babies appear on an initial ultrasound and then only one appears on all ultrasounds thereafter. I was so thankful to learn that they will do a portable (lower-quality) ultrasound on every visit because they will be unable to distinguish each twins' heartbeat with the Doppler. I was relieved to see two babies (who looked more like babies this time than beans!) and two flickering heartbeats appear on the screen. I told Dr. Moore before the ultrasound that I felt like I could officially get excited if he still saw two babies in there on the ultrasound that day. He was happy to point out the two babies with a smile. The picture below is very low quality, but you can see both babies. We *think* the one on the left is head up and the one on the right is head down. Or maybe they are facing one another? We did notice that one of them was bobbing his/her head to what seemed like the beat of some cool music!


Questions he answered for me...

1. Do I need to take any additional supplements? No, not at this time. He may give me an iron supplement later.

2. How can I avoid getting gestational diabetes? There is no avoiding it. Your placenta determines if you get it or not. I was relieved when he told me to just "be me" and not worry too much about it. I had gotten nervous based on things people had told me!

3. When will we be able to determine the sex of the babies? I will have another quickie portable ultrasound when I go at 16 weeks. I won't have the "big" ultrasound until 20 weeks, and it will be at that one that we will hopefully determine what we've got in there! After 20 weeks I'll go to the doctor every two weeks, and after 30 weeks I'll go every week. I told him he'd get sick of seeing me!

In other news, we had a successful garage sale on Saturday UNTIL the Code Enforcement Officer came by to check and see if we had a permit. (No, I'm NOT kidding!) I'm glad R answered the door because I would have come unglued on the guy! Does he not have anything better to do? Seriously. Luckily he only charged us the actual permit fee of $10 instead of the ticket fee of $100. Sigh!

7 comments:

  1. is that garage sale permit a real law or just something through your hoa? i've never heard of it so just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Code Enforcement Officer?! Unbelieveable. That is SO something that would happen here.

    That ultrasound picture made my day. Precious! Has your "morning" sickness gotten any better? Hope you're doing well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be a super stupid question...but can you tell whether they're identical based on the ultrasound, number of saks, etc?

    I'm glad your code officer was a nice one... I mean... the cost of a garage sale ticket looks to be more than the profit on most garage sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ebony,
    The garage sale permit is evidently required by city ordinance. The code officer took the newspaper and went to every garage sale listed to make sure each had a "permit". We don't live in a neighborhood that has an HOA. We just live in a crazy and bored city!

    Heather,
    Not a stupid question. I did ask him that, but I didn't list it in my Q&A. He said they are most likely fraternal. There is a possibility that they are identical. At 20 weeks when we do the big u/s, if they are boy/girl we'll know for sure they are fraternal. If they are boy/boy or girl/girl we may have to wait a while to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love that ultrasound!! whatcha got left? i love a good garage sale!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad everything is going so well! You are definitely included in our prayers! Let's plan a lunch date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crazy about the officer! So weird! Love the ultrasound - two sweet little blessings!

    ReplyDelete