Saturday, November 7, 2009

Furniture Woes

We've had more than our fair share of furniture woes lately. Things are looking up and stores have done right by their guarantees and their products, so I had to share!

Woe #1: Mattress
We bought a Simmons Beauty Rest Mattress at Denver Mattress (part of Furniture Row) on December 31, 2005. We sprung for a Simmons because of its good reputation and durability. Over the past few months, we've been noticing some major "dips" in the mattress and that those "dips" have caused the mattress to be less comfortable. I pulled out the paperwork that came with the mattress to find that it was guaranteed for 10 years to not "dip" more than 1 1/2 inches. I called to see how we should measure the "dips" and they told me to lay a yardstick across the mattress and measure with a ruler. You can see pictures below!

The mattress had two places with close to 2 inch "dips" and a few other places over 1 1/2 inches. We took pictures and took them with us when we went to Denver Mattress last week. There were NO QUESTIONS asked! The saleswoman pulled up our invoice and showed us our mattress choices. We ended up selecting one that was equal in price to the one we have already. We set up for delivery and went on our way. It was really that easy! We'll be getting our new mattress delivered within the next week or two. Hooray!
Woe #2: No living room furniture
11 weeks ago today, I we ordered a sleeper sofa, a love seat and an ottoman from a furniture store in Austin. When we ordered it all, they told us it would be ready in 6-8 weeks. WELL, this is what our living room has looked like since then...

R usually sits in the black computer desk chair, and I sit in the brown easy chair in the right of the last picture. Too bad if we have any guests over. The dogs lay on their bed (or in C's little easy chair!) and I usually have my feet up in a camp chair or in one of the dining chairs.
It has seriously gotten ridiculous! 11 weeks? Seriously? Yes! I called on Thursday to get an update on the furniture. The very nice lady told me that it was set to be shipped from the manufacturer next week. They don't deliver to our area, so then we'd have to set up a time to go get my dad's truck and trailer, go get it, and bring it home.
I told the lady that I was not pleased, and she was very apologetic and understanding. When I told her that I was 28 weeks pregnant with twins and that I'd been without living room furniture for 11 weeks, she was appalled! I asked her what she could do to make the situation right. She went and talked with the owner/manager and came back with this offer: They will deliver the furniture to our home (which is WAY out of their normal delivery area) AND they will deliver it for FREE! I thought that was a generous offer to keep the customer happy. So we should have furniture within the next two weeks!

Woe #3: Desk chair
I mentioned here that sitting at my desk in my desk chair had become almost unbearable. I packed up my at-home set up and took it to my cubicle. This is where you will find me sitting most work-days. Camp chair with a pillow in the back, laptop on my lap and feet in another chair. I can reach my phone, my water and I have my cell phone in the drink holder pockets! It is a great set up for the time being! I thought you would all enjoy a picture!


No comments:

Post a Comment