Sunday, January 3, 2010

Where the boys are...

(or, rather, where they will be soon!)

I want to take y'all on a tour of the boys' nursery. I am not a decorator by any stretch of the imagination, but we've pulled it all together around a few colors (navy, red and khaki) and a sports theme. I must say that I'm so happy with how it turned out. I think it is very much "us" and I'm hopeful it will be very "them" too! :)

First up, currently hanging on the door of their room is the MAGNIFICENT birthday banner that my mom painted! This will hang on the door of our hospital room while we are there and then on the front door of our home on their birthday for years to come. Didn't she do an awesome job?

When you open the door to their bedroom, this is what you see when you look to the left. That is Chase's side of the room. He has two framed pictures on his wall. One is a Texas flag with A&M instead of the star framed in barn wood, and the other is the picture of the Red, White & Blue Out picture taken at the Aggie football game after 9/11. R and I were both at that game and are therefore in the picture (somewhere!) My Grandaddy made the barn wood frame for that picture. You can also see the sports-themed lamp in this picture. The "pull" on the lamp is a coach's whistle! Too cute! I bought the letters for their names on-line and then painted them myself. We all know I'm not crafty like my mom, but I'm proud of how the letters turned out!

To the right you see Reid's side of the room. His crib is identical. My mom made the bedding and curtain of course! I'll show the wall-hangings in more detail below.
This awesome wall-hanging was put together by R's mom. The sweatshirt in the shadow box was made by R's grandma in the mid-eighties, and I am told he wore it CONSTANTLY. It fit in the room perfectly, and it is so special to have such a treasure hanging in the boys' room. I'm not sure if it is cross-stitch or some other kind of needle-work, but it certainly has history in our family!
Next to the sweatshirt on Reid's wall you will see four rustic sports-themed signs from Hobby Lobby! Audrey and I found them when she was here, but I didn't buy them then. I later regretted it so I sent my dad back to find them. He followed directions really well and got them for his first grandsons! R had quite a time hanging them up, but I think they look awesome!
Here is the center of the room--R's pride and joy! It is a rug that is a replica of the basketball court at A&M's Reed Arena. I've mentioned this on here before, but after we got it R wanted to order another one for the living room. I hated to be the one to crush his dreams, but one per house is plenty! He'll have the boys doing ball drills as soon as possible I'm sure!
This picture was taken looking from between the baby beds to the opposite side of the room (where the door is)! You can see the bookshelf my dad made out of old barn wood and bead board, the picture of my Grandaddy and his twin brother (framed in barn wood by my Grandaddy), and the awesome changing table/dressing table R's parents bought for C's room. We took off the closet door to make more space, so my mom made the curtain to match the bedding.
The last things I want to showcase from their room are the quilts my mom and Gran Gran made for them. This first one is the one my mom started working on as soon as she learned I was pregnant. She stitched the design on each square in red thread. Each square has a little boy with his dog (a schnauzer) and then some squares have a flag as well. Once she got all of the squares stitched and sewn together, my Gran Gran hand quilted the quilt. What a treasure this first quilt is. Below the picture of the whole quilt you can see a picture of a square up-close!
And then on that fateful day we learned that we were expecting not one but TWO children, my mom started working on a second quilt. You see, C has her own and according to my mom, it wouldn't do for the twins to have to share one! Here is the second one. This one has maroon stitching on it instead of red but still has the little boy with his little dog in each square. This one was also hand quilted by my Gran Gran.
For the time being, both boys will use both quilts. What a SPECIAL gift they have been given. When they get married and have their own homes someday, they can decide who wants which one!

So that is the tour, folks. Obviously these are very special and very loved boys. We can't wait to meet them and enjoy learning about their little personalities. We hope they will enjoy their room! It is kind of small but much love has gone into putting it together and making it just right for them!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I have tears in my eyes seeing this beautiful place where so much love and thought has gone into preparing for these precious little boys! You guys did SUCH a good job! I can't even exclaim over how much I love everything because it would be so long! VERY soon they'll be here and enjoying that special place themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is such a CUTE room!!! I'm getting so excited for the boys to get here! I can't wait to see pics and get to know them through your blog! There are so many neat things in the room and those quilts are awesome! Keep us updated if there are any changes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely perfect!!! I love all of the personal touches. I am so impressed with how much love your family poured into making it so special for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh How Exciting that it is all together and ready for Reid and Chase. I can't wait for them to join the family. Every stitch and cut and brush stroke was done with love. Reid and Chase, we are ready!
    Love,
    Gram and Pops

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh corrie it is perfect! what a special, special room. so much thought! i really think that rug is super cool! it looks real! so enjoyed the tour. great planning my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So perfect Corrie!! Our room for Owen was also red, blue and khaki with a sports theme but yours is so much more beautiful. You did a great job. These boys are surely lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reid and Chase, only a few more days to wait. Everything and everyone is ready for you guys to make your debut. Your room is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG corrie!!!! i'm getting SOOOOO excited for you!!! the room is perfect--LOVE the sports theme and all the love that was so obviously poured into it. every article in that room has a special story behind it---how incredible! these boys will be such a blessing to you and your family! and i bet lil 'C' is going to be the BEST big-sis! if she's anything like Sav, she will LOVE to help out!!!

    blessings to you and yours and may you have MANY magical moments in 2010!!!!
    xoxo
    suz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corrie, it is just so stinkin' cute! I LOVE the bedding, the birthday banner, the hand-made frames, your letters, and just every single special touch. What a sweet room to welcome those two little men home.

    I hope you guys are doing well, and I can't wait to see these precious boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This room is filled with so much love I can't even stand it! It is adorable and filled with treasures. I know how much you will enjoy spending time in there with the boys. Getting our twins' room ready remains one of my most special memories. You guys have a done a great job transforming your home into the perfect dwelling for your family of five. Love it! So glad you decided not to move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the nursery! I don't know what my favorite thing is about it...the bedding made by your mom, the amazing quilts, the sweatshirt R wore, the bookshelf from your dad, or the incredible pic of your grandaddy and his twin. I love how the room is filled with so much meaning and items made by your family. So so precious. And to think it will be filled with those sweet boys soon! Ahhhh, I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete